How to Remove Scratches from A Smartwatch
Smart Watches are our prized possessions. We love them and cherish them. They are our symbols of status, prestige, and smartness. That is why if something happens to them we become very anxious and psychologically disturbed. But as we keep using our watches every day, we fall or stumble, and may fall, or our watches may fall or get grazed against a rough surface, and we cannot do anything at all to prevent something like that.
As a result, scratches occur on the surfaces of our watches. Therefore, often we have to ask the question - ‘how to remove scratches from a smartwatch. In this article, we will try to attend to this issue so that your burning heart can calm down a bit.
The materials that make the cases:
Before we talk about how to remove scratches from a smartwatch, we have to mention something first. The body of smartwatches is not always built from the same material. Therefore, even if there are scratches, removing techniques may not be the same all the time.
Let us first have a look at the building materials of our common smartwatch bodies. The common watch building materials are - stainless steel, titanium, ceramic, steel, alloys, or metal. Most common watch cover cases are made from stainless steel.
It does not matter with which material the body of your precious smartwatch was built, if there are scratches on them, you will need to do the same thing. We will talk you through the full process.
As time passes by, your smartwatch catches grime, filth, etc. They become dirty from sweating, lint causes clogging. Therefore, it is only justified to clean and polish your smartwatches. Now that we know why we need to clean our smartwatches, it is time for us to find out what supplies are most needed to clean our prized possessions. To remove scratches we will need some good and appropriate polishing compound, and microfibre cloth or polishing cloth. Removing scratches needs a lot of hard work and patience. You will have to put in a lot of work if you want to see a very good result.
- Dust removal:
- First, we will need to remove all the dust from the watch’s scratched surface. It is better if you strip the strap off the watch before you start the process. You need cloth free of lint. Lightly moist it with water or any cleaning solution. You can use alcoholic solutions like disinfectants.
- Protecting the Bezel:
- If you do buffing, the bezels of your watch may take some damage. To avoid this, you can apply painter’s tape, which has low-tack, around the case of the watch and bevel and protect them. You need to be careful of the bezel because it can be very easily damaged.
- Applying Polishing Compound:
- Polishing can suddenly go bad. Therefore, the rule of thumb is we use less but make the most use of it.
- Apply a bit of polishing compound on the scratched surface. Take polishing cloth and slowly start the buffing process with small circular and slow motion. Although it may look even worse, you should not be disheartened and keep buffing. It will slowly get better.
- After a few minutes, the scratches will start fading away.
- Excess compound removal:
- Wipe the extra compound from the surface and properly take a look. If you are not yet satisfied with the result, then keep repeating the process.
- Diamond paste of 3 microns and 0.25 microns are needed respectively for buffing and mirror finishing.
- Results observation:
- After the process is done, see how it looks. Remember, polishing is like shining an old watch. This will not turn your watch into a new one magically.
- Tape removal:
- After you have done the polishing, it is your time to remove the low-tack tape.
We have tried to answer the question ‘how to remove scratches from a smartwatch’. We hope this article will help you a lot. When you are doing it yourself, you have to have patience.